Video poker is a game of chance since the cards are chosen by a random number generator. However, there are some tips or do’s and don’ts to remember to give your self the best possible chance of ending up a winner, although there is never a guarantee to win in any gambling games.
Here are some tips to improve your video poker play:
1. If you think you have cards that cannot be used to form any winning hand, you must discard your current cards and draw all new ones. Never keep lousy cards.
2. Do not break a straight to draw to a flush. It is better to go for the one card draw if you have a four- card straight that can be completed on either end. However, it is not advisable to draw a card to fill the middle of an incomplete straight.
3. Instead of holding a high card, it is better to keep a pair because video poker odds and payout percentages are in favor of a three-of-kind over one high pair. But never keep an extra high card along with your current pair as it may lessen your odds of drawing three of a kind.
4. Go for the royal flush if you have a choice between drawing two cards to complete a 3-card royal or keeping a low pair, a 4-card flush or a 4-card-open-ended straight.
5. Better keep the low pair instead of drawing to a straight since the odds are better of drawing three of a kind.
Aside from these 5 quick poker tips, always look for jacks or better machines that pay 9 coins for a full house and six coins for a flush. And understand the pay table for each game you play. Above all, take your time to make sure you make the correct decision.